Thursday, December 7, 2006

Christmas Wishlist (exclusively books)

I don't expect to get all of these. I don't expect to get half of these. My parents aren't big readers (so they don't really get it). :-)

note: I am in no way trying to ask any of you reading this to buy books for me. I just thought it'd make an interesting post.

In no particular order...

Les Miserables (unabridged)
by Victor Hugo
I read the abridged version of this book for my book club a couple months ago and absolutely loved it. The ending came too soon. Lucky for me there's a 1400 page version out there. That's what we call the unabridged version. Mine was only about 400 pages. This book makes me want to learn french (the language it was originally written in) just so I can read this book the way it's supposed to be read. I don't see this happening anytime soon (or ever).
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
by Victor Hugo
Being written by the same author of my beloved Les Miserables how could I not read this. I've actually wanted to get my hands on the this story ever since the Disney movie came out when I was in first or second grade.
A Prayer for Owen Meany
by John Irving
This is one of my teacher's favorite books. I trust her judgement. I read The World According to Garp, another Irving book, and dubbed it one of the best books of all time. I love John Irving's writing. I want to read all his books eventually, but I'll tackle them one at a time for now.
Pieces
by Stephen Chbosky
Stephen Chbosky wrote The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which is also one of my favorite books ever. I never realized he published anything else until I was browsing Amazon.com and came across it by accident.
Lewis Carrol's complete works
You know, the woman who wrote the Alice in Wonderland stories. I've never read anything of hers before, but I'd love to.
The Mists of Avalon
by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Everybody knows the King Arthur story right? It's about time I actually sat down and read it.
The Princess Bride
by William Goldman
As much as I hate the movie, I read an excerpt from the book and I couldn't possibly let myself die without reading the whole thing. I'll post that excerpt later.
Interview with the Vampire
by Anne Rice
I actually have an acute interest in vampires. I loved Stephenie Meyer's Twilight and New Moon. My book club read Bram Stoker's Dracula, which is amazing. At first I was worried it'd be difficult because I had the preconceived idea that older books are harder to read. In case you were wondering, this is false. Anne Rice is one of the most popular vampire book writers out there, so I wanted to figure out what I've been missing out on.
Avalon High
by Meg Cabot
I know I'm a little old for this book, but what's it matter if I have a good time reading it. I want this book because it sounds like pure pleasure. I plan on reading it in no more than three days. We'll see how that goes.
Rebel Angels
by Libba Bray
This is the sequel to A Great and Terrible Beauty. We read that one for book club too (I really love book club. It exposes me to so many new books). It was great and had a cliff hanger type ending so reading the sequel is a must.
MuggleNet.com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How will the Adventure finally End?
I'm a big Harry Potter fan and I love MuggleCast (and Pottercast too). I think if you know what I'm talking about, enough said. If not, there's no hope in describing it worthily.

No comments: