Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Most Over Hyped Book Awards

THE FIRST PLACE PRIZE goes to Christopher Paolini's Eragon. This fantasy book defines 'over hype.' I couldn't even finish it. After 200 pages I finally realized I didn't care what happened on page 201. Maybe it would have gotten better if I kept going, but by that point I had to consider the precious hours of my life wasted reading Eragon I'll never be able to get back. This book basically ripped off every other popular fantasy story. It's a montage of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and other excellent conceptions. It's okay to borrow from other creations, but Eragon had nothing original. The characters felt like they were reincarnations of what smarter people already made. The book was written when Paolini was fifteen-ish. By those standards, I can't deny Eragon is impressive, but that doesn't mean it should have been published. It definitely does not deserve all the praise. Don't waste your time. Read Philip Pullman or J. K. Rowling instead.

THE SECOND PLACE PRIZE goes to Artemous Fowl by Eoin Colfer. This one I actually finished. It's not the worst thing I've ever read, but it wasn't good, that's for sure. Maybe okay (at best). This book is everywhere, but apparently popularity isn't a sign of quality. I literally forced myself to finish it. Why do people read this book? or a better question, why do people read the sequels? I think there's about five of them out by now. I'm still baffled at how it got on the New York Times Best-seller list. Maybe it was mistaken with another book with a similar title. Maybe the publishers paid a lot of money to get it up there. Maybe I'm really missing something. I don't get it.

THE THIRD PLACE PRIZE goes to Mark Haddon's The Curios Incident of the Dog and the Night-Time. I actually sort of kind of, maybe a little, liked (not loved or enjoyed) this book. People rave about Haddon's debut novel. I've overheard conversations in a book store about how 'amazing' it is. More than one of my friends has claimed it's their favorite book ever (which is a pretty serious statement if you ask me). To be honest, everybody I've heard talk about its awesomeness doesn't read a lot. When they do it's usually required by a class he or she is taking. After expressing distaste for the fine art of literature (thus insulting me) they insist this book must be special if it got someone like them to enjoy reading. Let me assure you, The Curious Incident of the Dog and the Night-Time is really nothing special. It's widely read because the book is written at about a fourth grade reading level and has pictures (no lie). I realize both of those factors are story telling tools of Haddon. There's nothing wrong with that, but simplified vocabulary and drawings don't make a book a good read, they make it an easy read. The Curious Incident of the Dog and the Night-Time is likely to disappoint booklovers.

If you want summeries or maybe would like to read another person's (more positive) opinion check out Eragon, Artemous Fowl, or The Curious Incident of the Dog and the Night-Time at Amazon.com.

No comments: