Sunday, November 18, 2007

Senioritis

Wikipedia had surprisingly elaborate definition of Senioritus:

"Senioritis is a colloquial term used in the United States and Canada to describe the decreased motivation toward studies displayed by students who are nearing the end of their high school careers. By definition, Senioritis is not due to the direct physiological effects of a general medical condition such as hypothyroidism or insomnia but is typically said to include: slowness, procrastination, apathy regarding school work, a feeling of entitlement or privilege and a tendency toward truancy, malingering or feigning illness in order to avoid presence in a school setting, cognitive impairments, and changes in sleep patterns. Many high school students find themselves in a type of lame duck situation: their plans are made and a new chapter in their life is about to begin, so finishing the current chapter (the current term separating them from graduation) becomes just a formality or "holding pattern." Even though high school seniors tend to be the bulk of the victims, high school juniors and sophomores are also known to have it."
I'm pretty sure I was diagnosed with Senoiritus about half way through my freshman year. No joke. I guess school's not that bad, but I've been looking forward to graduation for a long time now. High school's frustrating. But that's not really why I'm writing this post. My motivation came more from the realization that I'll be graduating in half a year. I suppose I've always known high school would be over, but I feel like it's really snuck up on me.

My Senior Project presentation was after school Tuesday. I passed. It's done, all over, terminated, ended, compassed, completed, whatever; it's out of my life and I never have to think about it again. Why's a four to six minute presentation about your education, community service, and career plans such a big deal? Senior Project is one of few graduation requirements. Currently, I'm good to go minus credit in Economics, which I take next semester. I also need to finish out English and Government, but that's it.

On a more sentimental note, my last marching band competition was last weekend in Indianapolis. Unexpectedly, Page made semifinals. We left Wednesday after practicing two hours. Thursday we rehearsed all day, and Friday we performed for prelims at 4:30. Semifinals was the Saturday. I got home at about 4:30 this morning with a cold. It was a very emotional weekend. I, along with the other seniors, was consistently on the edge of tears. We cried a lot. I'm still suffering from the grief of it all being over. We're a really close group and I know I'll never be a part of anything quite like that ever again. I haven't graduated yet, but it sure feels like it.

Our band has this habit of writing something motivational on themselves before performances. Typically, I don't enjoy sharpie-ing all over my arm, but this performance was different.

Page High Marching Patriots
Class of 2008:

I love you guys.

No comments: