Friday, February 16, 2007

MAGICAL THINKING by Augusten Burroughs

Magical Thinking is a collection of short

essays written by Augusten Borroughs, a popular author known for his success in the 'memoir' genre. I've only read one other of his books, Running with Scissors, the fantastically bizarre story of Augusten's childhood. Magical Thinking was a more believable story I was able to laugh at and drink in as nonfiction. It seemed more parallel to normal people's lives, as opposed to his whacked out adolescent years. The thing about Augusten Burroughs's books is that everything in the world is so much funnier when you're reading them. He's absolutely hilarious. Half of my book is underlined with smiley faces in the margin due to my obsessive habit of needing to note anything and everything I find funny when I read just in case I want to quote it in a future paper I write or when I reread it later I can see what I found amusing when I read it the first time. The way he describes people is so... over the top, yet honest at the same time. Magical Thinking's a great place to start if you want to try Augusten Burroughs (or maybe just memoirs in general), although I'm sure the rest of his books would be great. I plan on purchasing and reading them all some day. You should too.

See more reviews or buy Magical Thinking at Amazon.

Augusten Burroughs: the official website.

No comments: