Thursday, March 1, 2007

Wikipedia, Virginia Woolf, and Lemony Snicket

I was looking up some stuff about Virgina Woolf on Wikipedia.org
and I found this in the cultural references.

"In The Reptile Room, the second novel in A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, there is mention of a snake called the Virginian Wolfsnake. The only thing said about it is that it should never, ever be allowed near a typewriter."

I'm probably the only person who found this funny, but I thought I'd post about it anyway because it made me giggle. I've actually read The Reptile Room, but I wasn't familiar with Virginia Woolf at the time and didn't catch the pun.

In case you were wondering, I'm about to start reading Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf for my Great Books class. I'm in the middle of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (also for Great Books). It's fantastic. In the words of Molly Shannon, "I love it! I love it! I love it!" When I eventually make a list of authors I admire most, James Joyce is definitely going to be included. More on that some other time, when I've actually finished the book.

That Virginia Woolf article is actually one of the more intriguing entrees about an author I've read. She seemed to be a very interesting personality. I'm looking forward to Mrs. Dalloway. Hopefully it lives up to her biography on Wikipedia.org.

No comments: